How I can contribute positively in this pandemic

We, as people, in any crisis or disaster look to the government to help our brothers and sisters in need. This year in particular, due to the pandemic, there are those that have lost jobs, lost their sources of income, and are really struggling financially. On the flip side, there are those who have retained their jobs and have their payments lowered for things like gas (to commute to work), day care, auto insurance, and a host of other things. I belong to this class of people, yet, I also got a stimulus check from the government, which I happily received. In my circle of friends, this year in particular many have saved quite a lot due to the pandemic.

We always want others to do something about closing/lowering the gap between the rich and the poor. That brought a question to my mind. Do I have a responsibility to share the wealth that I have received? There will always be a future need, and we can always bank the money for a rainy day. What does Jesus have to say when we have a bumper harvest like this year?

In the gospel of Luke chapter 12, verse 16, (https://bible.usccb.org/bible/luke/12)  Jesus tells a parable:

 “There was a rich man whose land produced a bountiful harvest. He asked himself, ‘What shall I do, for I do not have space to store my harvest?’ And he said, ‘This is what I shall do: I shall tear down my barns and build larger ones. There I shall store all my grain and other goods and I shall say to myself, “Now as for you, you have so many good things stored up for many years, rest, eat, drink, be merry!”’ But God said to him, ‘You fool, this night your life will be demanded of you; and the things you have prepared, to whom will they belong?’ Thus will it be for the one who stores up treasure for himself but is not rich in what matters to God.”

Am I like this rich fool? Do I want to take all the savings I have received and put it into the barn (bank)? Or should I use at least a portion of what GOD has given me to better the lives of the poor and the vulnerable in society?

I believe change begins with me. If I can contribute a part of the bumper harvest that GOD has given me and my family, won't we be reducing the gap between the rich and the poor? What does Jesus say? Jesus guarantees us that if we give, then he will take care of our needs: Luke chapter 6, verse 38 (https://bible.usccb.org/bible/luke/6) tells us the same:

"Give and gifts will be given to you; a good measure, packed together, shaken down, and overflowing, will be poured into your lap. For the measure with which you measure will in return be measured out to you."

Our family has decided to give some of our abundance to well known charities that provide education, food to the hungry, clean drinking water to those who are thirsty, and clothing to those in need. I hope and pray that the families that can, will join my family in doing the same, so that we can together take care of the poor and the vulnerableand contribute to closing the gap between the rich and the poor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Testimony of GOD's working in 2018

What does Son of GOD really mean?